Activity: Understand RESPECT
to discuss information
|~ 8||pictures of things/animals/people/places||per whole group|
|1||discussion board||per whole group|
|1||package of discussion board markers||per whole group|
- Totetude Understand RESPECT [JPEG Image, 1.69 MB]
- Totetude Understand RESPECT 2 [JPEG Image, 316 KB]
- Gather pictures.
- Write RESPECT at the top of the whiteboard.
- Write the words THING, ANIMAL, PEOPLE, and PLACE along the top or side of the whiteboard.
- Place pictures around the whiteboard.
- Educator states, "This week we will learn about RESPECT."
- Show the learners the word RESPECT.
- Educator then states (pointing to each letter), "R. E. S. P. E. C. T. spells the word RESPECT."
- Have the learners repeat the educator by spelling and reading the word RESPECT.
- Discuss what the learners already know about RESPECT.
- Educator continues the activity by stating, "When we talk about respect in this class, we are talking about taking care of our things, being kind to animals, being polite and listening to people and following the rules of the places where we are. So in this class we respect things, animals, people, and places - T.A.P.P." The educator can tap his/her foot to reinforce the acronym tapp.
- The educator then points and reads out loud the words things, animals, people, and places written up on the discussion board.
- Next, the educator points to the pictures one at a time.
- Learners describe what they see in each picture.
- Then the learners identify if the picture belongs to the category of things, animals, people, or places. They may wish to draw a line from the picture to the word it belongs to.
- The educator reviews by stating, "In our class we show respect to things, animals, people, and places."
- I am able to discuss RESPECT.
- I am able to match a picture to it's category.
- I am able to tell a story or experience.