- Gather materials.
- Print and cut out the Totetude Understand Safety Printable.
- Arrange the photos and text onto the discussion board.
- Educator states, "This week we will learn about SAFETY."
- Show the learners the word SAFETY.
- Educator then states (pointing to each letter), "S. A. F. E. T. Y. spells the word SAFETY."
- Learners repeat by spelling and reading the word SAFETY.
- Discuss what the learners already know about SAFETY.
- Educator continues the activity by stating, "This week we will learn about safety in our homes, on our bikes, in our community, and in an automobile - like a car or truck."
- Discuss the safety rules for a fire. Have a learner demonstrate how to STOP, DROP, and ROLL. Ask another learner to restate the rules.
- Discuss bike safety. Have a learner restate the safety rules.
- Discuss sign safety. Have a learner restate the sign rules.
- Discuss seat belt safety. Have a learner restate the seat belt rules.
- Explain to the class that rules are important. They keep us and others safe.
- Ask learners to demonstrate being safe in a play or skit.