Activity: Create Safety: Car Town
to draw an idea before it is built or made
|1||toy car||per learner|
|(Optional)||1||roll of painter's tape||for prep|
|(Optional)||~ 14||items in a community (trees, people, etc.)||per whole group|
- Totetude Signs Printable [Adobe Portable Document Format, 613 KB]
- Totetude Community 1 [JPEG Image, 2.35 MB]
- Totetude Community 2 [JPEG Image, 2.34 MB]
- Gather materials.
- Make signs with the Totetude Signs Printable (optional).
- Make roads with the painter's tape (optional).
- Review with learners the importance of crosswalk safety. "Why should we cross at a crosswalk? What could happened if we don't make eye contact with a driver? Why should we walk across the end of a street and not between parked cars? What could happen if we run or skip across the street?"
- Allow learners to work as a group and set up a community for independent play.
- After the allotted time, learners clean up.
- Go for a walk in the community and practice crosswalk safety.
- I am able to design a community.
- I am able to use an indoor voice.
- I am able to work on a team project.