Activity: Clothespin Letter Matching
to squeeze an object
|33||clothespins||per whole group|
|6||index cards||per whole group|
|(Optional)||33||stickers of specific letters||for prep|
- Totetude Clothespin Matching [JPEG Image, 2.47 MB]
- Totetude Clothespin Matching 2 [JPEG Image, 2.23 MB]
- Gather materials.
- Write the words RESPECT, LISTEN, KIND, POLITE, FOLLOW, and CARE - one word per index card.
- Either write the letters or place one letter sticker on each clothespin to spell the six words.
- Review the words RESPECT, LISTEN, KIND, POLITE, FOLLOW, and CARE.
- Discuss the words by saying what they mean and how to spell them.
- Model the activity by choosing a word on an index card, saying the first letter of the word, placing the clothespin over the letter on the index card, and completing the word using the same process from left to right.
- Hand out the group's materials making sure that each learner has an index card and the correct clothespins that spell that word.
- Allow the learners to place the clothespins over each letter of their word after they say it's name.
- Rotate cards to make sure that each learner is able to complete all six index cards.
- Have the learners put all of the clothespins together in a pile and find the letters for their index card.
- I am able to squeeze.
- I am able to place a clothespin on the correct spot.
- I am able to read letters in a word from left to right.