Activity: Miss Mary Mack
to clap hands
- Miss Mary Mack Lyrics [Microsoft Office - OOXML - Word Document, 65.2 KB]
- Video of Miss Mary Mack [External link]
- Print Miss Mary Mack Lyrics.
- Explain to the learners that they will be participating in a clapping exercise. First have the learners practice clapping by themselves (loud, quiet, fast, and slow).
- Then ask the learners to get into pairs. In pairs, they should face each other and try to clap with their partner (double high five, match right hands together, and match left hands together).
- Explain for this exercise, you will be clapping with a song called "Miss Mary Mack".
- Watch the video demonstrating Miss Mary Mack or show the learners another version on how to clap along: First, 3 claps with yourself. Then, (when repeating the ending words three times) clap with your partner alternating hands - right hand partner clap, self clap, left hand partner clap, self clap, right hand partner clap again. Repeat until song is finished.
- Have learners practice clapping without the song first. The educator should call out what the learners should be doing step-by-step. Example: Clap. Clap. Clap. Right. Clap. Left. Clap. Right again.
- When learners are ready, sing the song and have learners clap along.
- Make up different variations on how to clap with partners.
- I am able to clap my hands to a rhythm.
- I am able to continue to finish an activity suggested by someone else.
- I am able to encourage others.