Activity: Understanding the Need for Rules
to provide a basic explanation of information
|1||story about following rules||per whole group|
|(Optional)||1||story (No, David! by: David Shannon)||per whole group|
- No, David! by: David Shannon read along [External link]
- Totetude Picture Walk [Totetude resource link]
- Totetude General Reading Questions [Totetude resource link]
- The educator will explain to the learners, "We need to have rules. Rules will help us to learn and to keep us safe."
- Read No, David! by: David Shannon or another story with a theme that stresses the importance of following rules.
- Discuss with the learners why listening and following rules are important. Also discuss the consequences for not following the rules.
- The educator will then state the rules of the classroom and the consequences of breaking those rules.
- Rule: We respect things, animals, people, and places. (T.A.P.P.)
- Consequences: 1st - warning, 2nd - time out, and 3rd - note home.
- Ask learners to restate the rules of the classroom.
- I am able to understand the need for classroom rules.
- I am able to identify at least one consequence of breaking a classroom rule.
- I am able to explain the classroom rules.