Activity: SAFETY Original
to bring something into existence
|1||timer||per whole group|
|1||sponge for cleaning||per group of 2 learners|
|1||box of crayons||per learner|
|1||bottle of glue/glue stick||per learner|
|1||blank piece of paper||per learner|
|1||ball of soft dough/playdough||per learner|
|~ 1||drinking straw||per learner|
- Totetude Soft Dough [Totetude resource link]
- Totetude Letter Song [Totetude resource link]
- Totetude Cleaning Song [Totetude resource link]
- Gather materials.
- Make soft dough (optional).
- Educator asks learners about the letter of the week- D. What is the letter? What words start with this letter? What words end with this letter? What words have this letter inside of them?
- Educator and learners sing the Totetude Letter Song for D.
- Learners write the letter D in the air with their index finger.
- Explain to the learners that they will create an original artwork using soft dough/playdough, a dime and a drinking straw.
- Discuss the materials being used: What is a dime? How does the dime feel around the edge? Can we cut the dough, dime, or drinking straw with our scissors? What happens when we put a straw into dough? What happens when we roll the dime around the dough?
- Learners create art independently.
- When time is up, learners clean their area while singing the Totetude Cleaning Song.
- Learners discuss their artwork with others.
- I am able to create original artwork.
- I am able to take care of materials.
- I am able to express what I enjoy through the arts.